Translate

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Friends w/ Curls, Coils and Kinks Series ~ Featuring: Latoya Burton








*      1. What is your name/where are you from? etc. & share with us a little bit about your natural hair characteristics? (Be as descriptive as possible)
Latoya Burton. I am originally from California but I grew up in Arkansas. I currently reside in Houston, TX. I would consider my hair 3B with some 3C areas. The back bottom section of my hair is fine but the top layer is more of a medium/normal texture.

*      2. How long have you been natural? Four years


*      3. Did you brave the BC or did you transition or? I transitioned for 8 months and then I cut off all of the straight ends that I had (about 5 inches).


*      4. What do you love most about being a naturalista? I love the versatility and convenience. I can wear my hair straight, curly, roller set, flexi rod set, twist outs, braid outs and finger coils. The convenience of being able to spray water on my hair and walk out the door is such a blessing! 


*      5. Have you experienced any challenges with being natural? If so…please explain. The major challenges that I experienced in the beginning was finding the right product and product combination.


*      6. How would you best describe your overall natural hair journey? My overall natural hair journey has helped me to have a lot of patience. The transition phase took a lot of time and patience. If you choose not to big chop, patience is critical.


*      7. Do you regret returning natural or was it the best decision for you? It was the best decision! I ask myself sometimes “why didn’t I return natural sooner”.




*      8. Did you have supportive friends and family members during your natural hair journey? Explain your overall experience. YES! Some of my family and friends were inspired to stop relaxing their hair due to watching me during my journey.


*      9. How often do you experience strangers who want to touch your hair & live in it?! Feel free to share any funny stories! ALL THE TIME! In addition, there are some who won’t “ask” to touch your hair. They’ll just walk up and touch it which is the ultimate no-no for me because you’re invading my space. One lady in the store asked me “how did you get your hair curly”. My response was “it’s naturally curly”. Then she goes on to say “so you mean to tell me your hair just curls up like that. There has to be something that you put on it to make it curly.” I was very irritated with her and think she could tell by the expression on my face.


*      10. Looking back on your natural hair journey would you recommend the BC or transition to those who are thinking about returning natural? Well, I would recommend them to choose the option that’s best for them. I can say that I think there are less frustrations with the big chop because when you’re transitioning, you’re dealing with two different textures which can be hard to manage.



*      11. What is/are your Holy Grail natural hair product(s)? Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo, Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil masque, Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex Masque, Eco styler gel

*      12. Who was your biggest natural hair inspiration? My sister Erika.


*      13. If you are married, dating or in between…what does your man think about your natural hair? My husband loves my natural hair so much! One day I told him that I was going to wear it straight and he said “NO, leave it curly”. LOL.


*      14. What are your favorite hairstyles? Wash and go and finger coils.





*      15. Any final words of advice for those who are contemplating returning natural? My advice would be to embrace your natural texture and be patient. I know some of us wish our hair texture was like someone else but please love your own texture as well. Take care of yourself from the inside and drink lots of water!
                  
                      

     Thank you Latoya for being a part of my blog & sharing your story with others!  If you would like to be considered for this series please email this questionnaire back to me at: callingallnaturals@gmail.com. Don’t forget to attach along with the questionnaire at least 3 high resolution (no fuzzy or out of focus) pictures of you & your hair! People love visuals!! ;) As always thank you for reading, your continuous support & inspiring others! I love comments... feel free to share. 

Disclaimer: This feature will not only be posted & viewed on Calling All Naturals website but could potentially end up on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest & other social media outlets etc.




A.Adams ~ Subscribe:Learn:Grow:Share

No comments:

Post a Comment