Translate

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Are your products Curly Girl Approved?


Calling
All
Naturals
w/ Curls, Coils & Kinks


There has been so much talk and debate over harsh ingredients in many natural hair products and in beauty products in general. Should you shampoo or co-wash?  I have heard some valid points all across the board... and what's a girl to do?  I am sure there are some who follow the curly girl method and some who semi-follow it and some who just don't care... no matter what your thoughts may be I thought it would be fun to discuss and see if the Curly Girl Method is for you? I am not a professional or even an expert but I have been researching diligently and trying to familiarize myself with this subject.  Thought we could learn together! Let's discuss!

Since before my BC I was researching and learning about all these harsh ingredients in a lot of hair products and how this really affects me.  A lot actually! Natural hair needs moisture and tends to be on the dry side.  I have noticed not only do a lot of these harsh ingredients further dry out already thirsty curls, coils and kinks but can ultimately affect the state of our curl pattern.  I don't know about you but I don't desire parched and damaged curls.  I have since the beginning of my natural hair journey always aimed to follow the Curly Girl Method. I think it's not only smart to watch what we put on our hair but ultimately I desired a healthier lifestyle all around.  

I have learned the Curly Girl Method is aimed towards an all co-wash and no shampoo system but I still prefer to make sure my scalp is being cleansed with a shampoo at least once a month. Some people prefer to follow the no-poo method which is basically instead of using a traditional shampoo you use a silicone free conditioner to cleanse your hair and scalp. While others suggest you try the low-poo method where you use a shampoo that does not contain any harmful sulfate ingredients.  If you suffer from a oily scalp or use lots of gels you may experience more product build up than others and a shampoo may be necessary for you.  A happy scalp results in happy hair ultimately.  Another key is if you do have one of those non curly girl friendly products that you just don't want to part with look at where the location of the harsh ingredients stands in line.   If you notice the harsh ingredient(s) are at the end well your hair may not be affected vs if you notice the ingredient(s) at the very beginning. The closer your ingredient is to the beginning of the list determines the highest amount in that product.

Most of my products are CG approved and I am furthering my research to see if I should replace my non CG approved products.  Although the one product I have with silicones doesn't affect my hair negatively from what I have noticed I still desire to not use harsh ingredients or ingredients that hurt my hair in the long run in my products.  I make it a point to always look at the back for those ingredients and have trained myself to watch out for those pesky harsh ingredients. This definitely was more of trial and error and some of the harsh ingredients are listed under these undercover names (lol).  I also prefer to use a cleansing conditioner with cleansing agents vs just using a regular conditioner to clean and moisturize my hair.  I personally have found that using a cleansing conditioner gets my hair very clean just like as if I were using a shampoo but without that stripped & tangled feeling. 


My regime does include using a moisturizing shampoo at least once a month and I make sure my shampoos don't contain any harsh ingredients mainly focusing on silicones and sulfates.  I would like to point out everyone hair responds differently to these harsh ingredients and you should do what works best for you.  Are these ingredients found in hair products as harsh as people say or is limited doses the key? I can only speak for my hair as that is where I learn my most valuable hair lessons. I have noticed ever since I joined the band wagon of following the CG method I have noticed a huge transformation in my hairs texture, color and how well my hair holds moisture.  Could it be it all in my head or was it the strong desire to watch what I feed my hair?

The Curly Girl method has definitely been working wonders for my hair and I have noticed dramatic results.  Do I follow it religiously?  No, I do not and for me that at this time it works.  I don't know if I think all harsh ingredients are the devil as I have seen many naturals who use them and their hair seems to be as healthy as mine.  What I will say at the end of the day my goal is to live a healthier lifestyle overall.  I will not tell people to absolutely don't use these ingredients in your products but if you do notice your hair is thirsty all the time and needs to be rescued a good place to start is to look at your ingredients in your hair products.  My personal opinion is that it's more vital to take a healthier approach to most things in life including our natural hair journey than following the Curly Girl method to a tee!  Let's aim to learn all we can and take good care of our natural hair.  My final thoughts about the Curly Girl method is let's strive to always live a healthy balanced lifestyle and treat our curls, coils and kinks with much needed love and care.  Have you looked at your ingredients in your products lately?? 


Share if you are a CGM follower or not?!  I am super curious to know ;)




Click on the link below for a detailed full description of Curly Girl Approved ingredients.
http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-if-a-Hair-Product-is-Curly-Girl-Approved

Power Thought -I think it's not only smart to watch what we put on our hair but ultimately I desired a healthier lifestyle all around.


Today's Natural Hair Lingo
Curly Girl Method (CGM) = was invented by Lorraine Massey and it a method in which you go shampoo free to give your curls some ultra-moisture.  Instead of shampooing you co-wash and condition and style your hair with silicone and sulfate free products.
CAN = Calling All Naturals
Co-wash = Cleansing conditioner
No-poo Method = is to completely stop using shampoo; instead you use a silicone free conditioner to clean your scalp
Low-poo Method = is to use a shampoo that does not contain any harmful sulfate ingredients.


Weekly Natural Hair Care Deals
*$avings Alert*

CVS Pharmacy - Select Shea Moisture or Nubian Heritage products - spend $15 and get $5 extrabucks rewards - 8/16 - 8/22








No comments:

Post a Comment